Trunomi Case Study: FIS solves direct marketing for GDPR
The GDPR Marketing Challenge
- In line with guidelines for GDPR marketing departments will be required to get specific, informed and opt-in consent from customers before using their data for marketing purposes.
- Silence, pre-ticked boxes or inactivity do not constitute consent
- Fines for non-compliance can reach as much as 4% of global revenue or €20 Million (whichever is greater)
- Incoming enforcement of GDPR on 25 May 2018 has been described as “an extinction event for ad tech in Europe.”
- In the UK the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO) has already taken action against two global firms for sending 3.3 million unlawful marketing emails without proven consent, or when customers have already opted out of emails, and have warned firms that “Businesses must understand they can’t break one law to get ready for another (GDPR).”
- FIS, a global leader in financial services technology, has implemented the FIS Consent Manager, powered by Trunomi, to solve consent capture for direct marketing.
- FIS uses marketing automation software to manage over 1.4million subscribers in their marketing database.
- The FIS Marketing preferences system enables subscribers to manage their email subscription preference from a single location – to determine which type of email they want to receive (events, sales, webinars) and the acceptable frequency of communication.
- FIS plans to request consent from over 500,000 active subscribers as part of the implementation programme.
- FIS Consent Manager records a timeline of subscribers’ interactions with the FIS marketing system and captures their informed consent and preferences.
- This generates TruCerts™ to prove active, opt-in consent has been received in compliance with GDPR.
- A TruCertTM is a digital signed certificate certifying a data transaction and the data subject’s consent for that data use. The TruCertTM identifies the transaction counterparties, the purpose (context) of the data share as well as the duration for which consent has been granted.
- A TruCertTM is created through FIS Consent Manager APIs and the associated data rights can be accessed by the business through a Rights API.
- For each FIS marketing subscribe, FIS Consent Manager generates a TruCertTM based on the updates from the firm’s subscription preference centre, via APIs.
- FIS Consent platform is a service powered by Trunomi, licensed by FIS.
- Working with Trunomi, FIS can solve consent requirements under GDPR and avoid non-compliance fines of up to 4% of their global revenue
- FIS were awarded the Sirius Decisions Program of the Year award for their Consent to Direct Marketing in compliance with GDPR.
- FIS are increasing customer engagement with consent, powered by Trunomi.
- A suite of APIs makes integration with existing contact automation fast and efficient.
- Trunomi TruCert™ increases transparency and can improve trust in the customer relationship